Southern half New Mexico BDR

Discussion in 'Long Ride Reports' started by Gundog, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Gundog

Gundog Member

CB625F4B-EEB8-4FF1-B33D-EF4522C36591.jpeg 435F068C-6AB5-404B-8068-7EE2E52D4DAB.jpeg 416CA73A-8F3D-4708-ADEB-E73EFD3494ED.jpeg 401BFCCD-610A-4996-AB5B-4C17B224BEF9.jpeg Took ten days and went South. Trailered from Colorado to Albuquerquie, road to Carlsbad. Went in on Queens highway and joined route from there. Made it to Reserve although we did not do The expert sections. The plan was to do the whole ride however friends dropped out for one reason or another and we were left with just two of us at Grants and decided to bail. It was very hot (106 at times) and in riding gear you just did not stop. The route is in pretty good shape, however from Winston to Snow Lake a rogue grader made life tough. Probably three miles in front of the blade and gravel. Gravel was also 10 miles of very deep and large, very untouched gravel. At Snow Lake we were under an evacuation order for a fire but chose to stay as we had a very large clearing, it was 6pm and one of my buddies needed some rest and repairs on his KLR before going forward. We got out OK in the morning but boy there were a lot of fire rigs moving in. The remaining forests on the route ended up being closed to trafficwith stage three restrictions. We went heavy as we were camping however the bike was awesome. I was very happy with the Motoz tractionators and after 1500 miles they’d are holding up very well. I put a TKC80 on my sons front wheel (650GS) and it has way more wear than the Motoz, as was expected. Tractionator rear hooked up very well although we had very little mud. The White Sands 90 mile sand section, while not always deep, was constant and they performed well there. We also rode out on elephant butte and deep sand and they were fine. I felt the front was a little loose and wandering but that could just be me. The Black Dog skid plate took a serious beating and came out unscathed. Might be best investment in bike to date. Overall a great trip and I would highly recommend.

misterk likes this.
  2. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like an awesome ride. Too bad about those that bailed, they missed out, some folks just have too much give up in them.

3. Gundog

Gundog Member

#3 Gundog, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    A25B473F-2951-488F-B1E0-F78782DE3B9D.jpeg
    Yes, it was a bummer. One friend in over his head, maybe out for the better. I think we picked him up at least 7 times one day. We spent a whole day trying to fix cooling system on another, I even bypassed the broken fan relay with a manual switch in Lowe’s Parking lot in Alamogordo at 99 degrees, could not get temp down. Another had issue with XR650 and could not meet us at Grants....etc etc. I felt it was not smart to go on with just my son and I, and then the route closed out a day later so it worked out. We ended up going to South Fork and getting in a few more days riding with just us. Still, the riding we did was awesome and we will go back and do the second half this fall.

misterk likes this.
  4. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

You gotta love trail side maintnance, adds to the “adventure”. I changed out a counter shaft seal in the middle of nowhere. There Were 18 of in on the ride and believe it or not one guy carried a spare... go figure.

Sounds like a plan that went freestyle, I love the freestyle rides. My buddy says we’re like dogs, zig zagging the country side, stop and smell something, pee on it, off to the next thing.

Cuchulainn and Gundog like this.